Monday, June 4, 2007

Monday of the Second Week

This has been one of those long days, not any less eventful than the first day traveling to China, only less fulfilling because I am simply going to work and leaving my family behind.

The phone alarm vibrates at 4:45 and I roll out of bed about 10 minutes later. Elisabeth spent the night and woke up with the kids to get them ready for school so Melissa could drive with me to Chicago Midway. It is a quiet ride because Melissa is very sleepy and not feeling well, and I chat normally saying anything that comes to mind. We arrive at 6:45 with enough time to check what I hope will be my last large bag, totaling 150 pounds of luggage transferred into my apartment, and yet it still looks bare.

We kiss four times before she drives off and from there my flight experience on ATA is smooth. I read all the magazines I’ve brought with me and write more notecards to mail from Texas. I’m not ready to try the train since I have my luggage to drag around so I call Super Shuttle from the courtesy phone and they’re ready when I walk outside. Henry Lopez is my driver and is sleeping when I approach the curb, but I after I spark up some conversation about the city of Dallas he’d grown up in, he’s more talkative. There are no other passengers in van number 280 so I figure I have a half-priced cab ride straight to my apartment. Our conversation turns to baseball, the lousy Rangers, and the beautiful Ballpark at Arlington that I’ve never seen before and would like to take my wife to when she comes to visit. At Catholic elementary school the nuns let the kids go see President Kennedy at the parade in Dallas. Henry remembers seeing the president 15 minutes before he was shot.

Next thing I know, Mr. Lopez points to the right and before my eyes is a magnificent view of the home of the Rangers. He drives around the entire perimeter, showing me the Legends of Baseball Museum along with his own tour guide narrative along the way. It isn’t over! He continues to Six Flags, pointing out that I should take the kids there before taking my wife to the ballgame, and then we drive past the construction site of the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium and home of Super Bowl XLV.

I know from my previous trips to the area that where he’s taking me in Arlington is way out of the way from the north side of downtown Fort Worth where I’m going. I tip him $20 and wish him well and no sooner had I gone inside the apartment building have I realized that I’ve left my cell phone on the seat. Without a phone in the apartment, I wait until I drop off all my stuff and change for work before calling Super Shuttle to try to track it down.

It has been a long commute, including car, plane, shuttle and a one-mile walk before I enter the air-conditioned lobby at work and am greeted by the security guard, “Hello Mr. Baldwin! Your laundry is ready.”

I work from noon until early evening and then walk back through downtown past the new main branch of the Fort Worth Library, my favorite restaurant PF Chang’s, Starbucks, Jamba Juice and Barnes and Noble, carrying my cleaning back to the apartment that is warm, quiet and empty. Mom sent a package which turned out to be a “meal, snack and dessert maker” appliance that I’ll need to try out once I buy some ingredients. There’s a slip for another package which I think is from her, too.

I go for a swim and put away all the stuff that I brought with me. I must remember to get to bed on time every day this week so I’m at my best when I’m at home.

Melissa is very sick today and sounds awful. She says she wished she was in San Diego so her mom could help take care of her. I wish she were, too. Also, Mary Lou is doing very poorly and needs home nurse care. I am praying for them tonight.

No comments: